Saturday, March 5, 2016

Visiting Humblyburg. Humbletown. Humbleville. Humbleton?



Still waiting to hear from J about Lil Guy and whether he'll be our first emergency placement or not. ... Meanwhile I will be researching. Preemies, Drug Addicted babies. And I'l be listing.. What would I potentially need to go buy if we get a preemie (Lil Guy or later).  Our potential respite boy in a few weeks (assuming we don't get Lil Guy as a placement) is 15 months and we have EVERYTHING we could EVER need for a toddler boy. So that's easy. Newborns are pretty easy too.. but.. not bottlefeeding itty bitty preemies. And So...


Here's my humble moment of the day.... I've babysat ALOT (That's not the humble part). I've workers in nurseries.. I'm great with babies. I've raised two... But the one thing I'm clueless on???

 Formula.

I am a La Leche League Leader. I know just about everything there is to know about breastfeeding. From personal experience to the nearly 50+ moms I've troubleshooted the quirks with.

But I have never bottle fed. I have left a bottle for our awesome babysitter every once in a while.. but it was always breastmilk. I've tried in desperation or last resort a sample tube of toddler transitions formula. But that's about it. So I am clueless. Like SERIOUSLY clueless. And it feels terrible.

Breastfeeding was fairly easy for me. Minus tongue tie, thrush, engorgement, mastitis, plugged ducts, and just overall getting wrecked. :) It was free, portable and fairly hassle free once it all settled into normal. Now I'm faced with a conundrum. Do I fake it til I make it? Or do I ask for help.

I'm an asker... so here's my ask... Where do I start? is there a bottlefeeding for dummies book?

7 comments:

  1. I have no help. But curious, does the foster system have rules about things like feeding donated breast milk? Or even possibly trying to relactate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they let us! Unfortunately until a child is legally adopted they won't allow breastmilk unless directly donated from mom, and they say thats very rare.. and not happening in this case. Sad since it's the best thing for preemies!!

      Delete
    2. I wish they let us! Unfortunately until a child is legally adopted they won't allow breastmilk unless directly donated from mom, and they say thats very rare.. and not happening in this case. Sad since it's the best thing for preemies!!

      Delete
    3. That sucks. Is skin to skin allowed at least? Still lots of premie benefits, without the breast milk. 😃

      Delete
    4. That sucks. Is skin to skin allowed at least? Still lots of premie benefits, without the breast milk. 😃

      Delete
    5. Yes to some degree.. I'm sure they'd fuss about a certain amount of "skin" Like open shirt ok.. Lack of under garments not so much.. but I also don't think I'd worry about it. I try to wear scoop neck. :) Honestly though he's sort of NICU trained. Eat Swaddle Sleep. And too much handling stresses him out. He is transitioning ok though and gaining. He's almost to birthweight.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete